Samsung Phone Explodes in Man’s Pocket and Company Blames Third-Party Battery

Samsung smartphones can’t appear to catch a rest. Seconds following the South Korean technology giant place the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone debacle behind it, another Samsung phone went up in flames this week.

A Samsung Grand Duos model released in 2013 exploded in a guy’s shirt pocket, Channel News Asia reports. The guy in Indonesia is viewed falling onto the ground as he tries to remove his shirt following the phone exploded. A graphic CCTV footage of this video, embedded beneath, also captured the incident.

Samsung told CNET that the device in question had a third-party component. The battery on the used device wasn’t fabricated by Samsung or a company authorised by Samsung, it said. “We sincerely wish for our customer’s swift recovery, and strongly suggest all our consumers to utilize Samsung’s genuine or approved batteries that have been specifically designed for use in Samsung products.”

The explosion, though no fault of Samsung, is a stark reminder how harmful these devices could turn into. Usage of third-party batteries and other components is exceptionally common in developing nations, as they have a tendency to be much more affordable than their original counterparts.

However, for Samsung, which spent much of this late last year grappling with the Galaxy Note 7 debacle, the new incident could further hurt its brand value, something which contributes immensely on a purchaser’s purchase decision.

This past year, Samsung remembered the Galaxy Note 7 following several incidents were reported in which the handset was going up in flames. The company later issued an apology and remembered the smartphone.

No comments.

Leave a Reply