Mold Detection – How to Detect Toxic Mold In Your Home


In the fungi family, there is a particular type of small living organism called mold. It is moisture on which the spores thrive and they also spread rapidly in the presence of moisture. Its growth can be seen on any surface or material and particularly on objects of cellulose. by recent studies it can be said that most of the houses have some or the other kind of mold infections resulting from unknown and unspecific indoor moisture problems. This in turn results in rapid growth in the damp corners of areas like water-damaged basement, bathroom, leaking roofs and pipes etc. The indoor mold growth is a huge threat to your physical well-being and should be removed at once to prevent spreading into different areas. Thus it becomes very important to be able to detect this tiny organism wherever it is starting to grow and it pays to be observant in case of tracing the presence of mold and make appropriate arrangements to prevent it from mushrooming.

However, there are various DIY ways through which you could detect mold in your home.

1. Hunt for noticeable mold – First of all, the natural characteristics of mold has to be recognized. This will help in detecting the organism wherever it is visible. The form in which it appears is that of a cotton-like element. It usually has a color of black, gray, white or green.

2. Know the smell of mold – Detecting the organism by its smell is another straightforward way of tracing mold in home. The smell that the mold produces is that of strong musty and earthy odor. Therefore, start an instant investigation the moment you get the moldy smell coming from these killer organisms. However it is important for you to know that there are some species of mold which do not have any odor and is conveniently odor-free and it is generally behind the walls, between the canals and panels that their growth can be spotted. So not getting any mold-like smell in your house does not signify the absence of mold.

3. Search your basement – If you are dealing with problems as such as flooding and various other issues regarding water damage in your basement, you might want to launch a thorough investigation there and it is absolutely imperative that you do as it is quite likely that this toxic organisms have turned your basement into their safe haven. Signs you should look for are that of water stains or seepage on ceilings and walls. You could also take their musty odor as an indication of mold infection.

4. Mold could remain conveniently hidden from you – The most dangerous type of mold is still the unseen type which is known for its extensive cultivation without falling prey to detection by naked eyes. In this regard, you better be wary of repetitive episodes of stuffy nose or nasal congesting or frequent clearing of throat. Signs like these are suggestive of hidden growth of the organism, which would be further confirmed by its strong odor of mustiness.

5. Mold can be detected with Do-It-Yourself test kits – The dangerous molds living in your house can be detected with DIY test kits that are available in most of the hardware or home improvement stalls. By following the given instructions with the product, you will be able to get rid of them easily by noticing instant results.

Certified inspectors could also be of help – When experiencing symptoms that suggest mold exposure but fail in detecting the presence of this harmful organism, you could call a certified mold inspector for help. Their acquired expertise to detect any possible growth of mold will help you to identify the definite spots of hidden growth.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.